The animal testing industrial complex is vast. It has decimated wild populations of primates, and has driven the Macaque to endangered status at the IUCN.
Many other species of animals are tested on without consent. Ferrets, dogs, cats, mice, guinea pigs, birds, fish, and many others are all animal species who are medically or cosmetically experimented on in the United States.
Our Animals In Labs Committee works to specifically target the University of Washington’s Washington National Primate Research Center (WaNPRC) and its affiliated primate breeding facility in Arizona. This committee is also responsible for organizing the JUSTICE FOR RICKY BOBBY! campaign, spotlighting the life of one primate killed inside of WaNPRC.
Some other anti-testing initiatives at NARN:
- passing local and federal laws and polices preventing animals from being used as test subjects
- educating the public on alternative testing methods
- shining light on rampant abuse often overlooked in facilities that tests on animals
- researching the extent of the harm caused by faulty scientific data as a result of comprised animals who are test subjects
- highlighting inequities in the U.S. healthcare system
Visit our Animals In Labs at the UW page to learn about our campaign activities!
Resources & more info!
- Animal Research Laboratory Overview (ARLO)
- Contemporary Sciences
- Faunalytics Fundamentals: Research Animals
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Rise for Animals
- Stop Animal Exploitation Now (SAEN)
- WaNPRC Wikipedia article
- USDA Inspection Reports – The USDA performs inspections of the WaNPRC every few months. The inspection reports can be found by going to https://aphis-efile.force.com/PublicSearchTool/s/inspection-reports, searching for “university of washington” in the “Customer/Organization Name” field, and clicking on the “View Inspection Reports” tab.
Animals In Labs News
NJ @SenBooker is calling out the @NIH for giving MORE money to the notorious WA National Primate Research Center.— PETA (@peta) October 11, 2022
His letter to @HHSGov’s Sec. Becerra cites disease, animal welfare violations, and he calls for an investigation. https://t.co/uaxeKAriRj
Remove Unethical Vet from the UW’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
The University of Washington’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is the committee responsible for overseeing the treatment of…
UW: Stop surgical training on live animals
It’s a shock. The University of Washington has resumed using live animals in surgical training — a useless, inhumane practice.…
Thank You, Rep. Sherry Appleton, for Talking Sense to UW Over Treatment of Pigs
“Paramedics don’t need to cut open the throat of a pig when they have other options,” Rep. Sherry Appleton, D-Poulsbo,…
Finally: A Study Will Examine Whether Animal Testing Even Works
The same week The Seattle Times reported that a macaque monkey at the UW died of thirst, The Baltimore Sun…
UW Research Monkey Dies of Thirst: Contact EVERYONE
Here’s the heartbreaking story of another research monkey dead at the UW. In a new inspection report, federal regulators say…
Tell Legislators Why We Need Animal Welfare Records
The USDA last week removed from its website much of the information it used to make publicly available regarding animal…