Did you get a chance to read the New York Times article about the horrific federal laboratory in Nebraska? The lab conducts research on farmed animals to benefit the meat industry. They receive millions of dollar a year in our money–taxpayer funds–to torture and abuse animals (the experiments are so gruesome even people in the animal agriculture industry are appalled).
The article exposes experiments conducted at the 50-year-old U.S. Meat Animal Research Center, including:
- Newborn sheep being left to die in open fields–intentionally.
- A young, restrained cow who suffering broken legs and died while being repeatedly mounted by six bulls.
- Stalls so small that piglets are crushed by their mothers.
- Deliberate high-risk pregnancies that result in deformed babies.
- Testing for extreme heat tolerance.
- Failure to provide adequate veterinary care to animals.
- Animals starving to death in plain view of “caretakers.”
Sadly, cows, pigs, and sheep are excluded from protection under the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). Only Congress can stop such egregious animal suffering by making changes to the Act.
The American Anti-Vivisection Society has put together a great page to help you reach out to your legislators.
Please tell your legislators that you are outraged that federal government funds are used for such cruelty and that it must be stopped. Politely tell them that ALL animals deserve protection under the Animal Welfare Act.